Monday, January 10, 2011

We Are Family

"You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them."  ~Desmond Tutu

We haven't always agreed with each other.  In fact, sometimes, we haven't even liked each other. When I was 16, I thought you didn't have a clue about how to raise children.  When I was 21, I definitely did not want to be like you. In my 30s, raising my own children, I began to hear words coming out of my mouth that sounded a lot like things you used to say. In my 40s, I envied your freedom in retirement to travel the world and I was upset when I phoned you and you were not home.  In my 50s, I began worrying about your being so far away and what would I do if something happened to you.  Now, in my 60s, I take every opportunity to be with you because I know our times together are precious.  Today you came to stay with me in my home and visit for a while.  I really didn't think that you would ever be able to do that again.  Today I feel blessed to have you as my parents.

No comments: