Saturday, January 22, 2011

Knitting As Meditation

The focus and the concentration and the attention to detail that flying takes is a kind of meditation. I find it restful and engaging, and other things slip away. ~Harrison Ford

Harrison Ford must have been reading my mind when he stated the above--almost.  If you substitute knitting for flying it is exactly how I felt today as I sat knitting on my Scrawl on the Wall Shawl.  

I have been very distracted, frustrated, and anxious the past few days.  I have been attempting to make arrangements for a family vacation in May and nothing seems to be going according to my plans.  I decided after being on line for several hours today searching for just the right flight and the perfect accommodations that it was time to take a break.  Remembering that one of my resolutions for 2011 is to finish all my knitting and crochet works in progress (WIPs), I took up my needles and proceeded to knit on the shawl I am making for my mother.  I not only succeeded in making good progress on it, but I also found it very soothing and my stress has melted away for the time being.  

Scrawl on the Wall Shawl

 I'm very pleased with my progress and looking forward to sending it to my mother.  Until I finish it, however, knitting on this shawl will be my refuge from frustration and anxiety.

No comments: