Monday, January 17, 2011

Depressed? Not me!

A lot of what passes for depression these days is nothing more than a body saying that it needs work. ~Geoffrey Norman

According to a blog I was reading earlier this afternoon, today is the most depressing day of the year.  I wondered about what I read and so did a bit of research to find out if there was really some basis in fact for this statement. This article from the Mother Nature Network in the UK gives an interesting explanation of this phenomenon/theory/hoax/urban legend/whatever.  The article says that today is Blue Monday, the third Monday of January.  The depression is likely caused by the weather; debt load from Christmas; guilt over unkept New Year's resolutions; and that oh-no-is-the-weekend-really-over feeling many have on Monday morning. The whole concept was started as a publicity stunt by a travel company. Advice on how to beat the Blue Monday blues?  Use your depression as motivation to strive for a better quality life. For example, plan to spend less next year on buying Christmas presents.

Well, I'm not depressed today, but if I was, I would follow my great-grandmother's advice:  If you don't feel well, just get up and work.  It never fails to cure me of depression or just plain feeling sorry for myself.

No comments: