Sunday, January 16, 2011

Food Is Love

“Cooking is at once child's play and adult joy. And cooking done with care is an act of love.”  ~Craig Claiborne, ‘Craig Claiborne's Kitchen Primer’

Cooking is one of my joys and I certainly had a joyous time today making dinner for my parents.  In my family, sharing a home-cooked meal is an expression of our love.  I am seriously going to follow the vegan diet I mentioned at the beginning of this month, but in the meantime I have visitors that I need to feed.  Visitors who really wouldn't like all vegan meals.

So today I once again got out my crock pot and fixed a flank steak I've had in the freezer.  I followed a recipe from http://allrecipes.com that I have been wanting to make for a while.  It is called Slow Cooker London Broil and can be found here.  I made it according to the directions, but added some things mentioned in one of the reviews.  Besides the flank steak, cream of mushroom soup, tomato soup, and a package of dry onion mix, I also added an extra can of cream of mushroom soup, a half a cup of red wine, garlic powder, onion powder, and lots of fresh ground pepper.  The meat was sooo tender and the gravy delicious.  This recipe is definitely a keeper.  If I become a convert to vegan eating then I will make it for guests who are not of that persuasion--it is that good! 

No comments: