Monday, January 03, 2011

How Long Does It Take to Form a New Habit?

“People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas”  Author Unknown

 

So today I have been trying my best to begin a healthier eating habit.  I've been reading a book entitled:  Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes:  The Scientifically Proven System for Reversing Diabetes without Drugs.  The diet he proposes is vegan and I never really imagined myself following such a restricted regimen.  However, the more I read the more I am willing to give it a try.  I really feel the motivation to reduce my dependence on drugs to control my diabetes.  I also need to jump start my metabolism and loose more weight.

As for the answer to my original question:  How long does it take to form a new habit?  According to answer.com, it generally takes up to 30 days to form a new habit and this depends greatly on the ability and will of the person trying to establish that new habit and it requires constant repetition of the new behavior.  Am I up for all this?  Time will tell.  Next Christmas is a long way off.



No comments: