Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Stick-to-it-ness

Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.  ~Thomas Merton

I have been actively seeking serenity for some time now and have become convinced that by fostering balance and harmony in my life I can achieve it. Easier said than done, however. I tend to approach all my goals with great passion--one might even say obsession.  This life style is not conducive to serenity, but how does one change a long-established way of living one's life?  

Routines help.  Getting up in the morning and going to bed at night at the same time every day is useful in establishing some kind of order and rhythm in my life.  I can sustain this pattern for a while, but then something always disturbs it.  An extended trip away from home; a good book I just can't put down; an inability to get to sleep one night.  

Maintaining balance in my life requires tremendous self-discipline and dedication.  Passion provides the motivation, but so far I am lacking that perseverance I mentioned yesterday.  I need to develop the habit of stick-to-it-ness.  

This topic of forming habits is a recurring theme in my thoughts and posts this month.  Is it just the effect of the New Year on me?  It's January so I must make changes in my life?  I have been resisting making resolutions, but perhaps I need to make some commitments before I can see any progress toward my goals.

No comments: