Saturday, January 29, 2011

Another Look at Friendship

A friendship can weather most things and thrive in thin soil; but it needs a little mulch of letters and phone calls and small, silly presents every so often - just to save it from drying out completely. ~Pam Brown

In this post, I wondered if it wouldn't be better to let old friendships go and concentrate on new ones.  I've been pondering this question and I've decided that old friendships are too precious to let go by default.  I love to garden and the quote above made me think of how devastated I feel when I have neglected a plant and see it wilting or dying.  How much more important to me are my friends!

I've begun a sort of Year in Review for 2010 to send to my old friends back East and want to finish it and send it by e-mail before the end of this month.  A tall order, but I have always worked better under pressure.  Once the e-mail is sent I intend to concentrate on the letters and phone calls and small, silly presents angle. Like the Girl Scout song intones:  Make new friends but keep the old; one is silver, the other is gold.

No comments: