Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Looking for Closure in My Craft Closet

Do not plan for ventures before finishing what's at hand.  ~Euripides

In January of 2008, I began making a crocheted block a month in a group on Ravelry--an online knit and crochet community.  The idea being that by December, 2008, I would have 12 blocks that I could make into an afghan.  All went according to plan until October and then, for some reason I can no longer remember, I put the project in my craft closet and began another project, and another project, and another project. Some people call this affliction of starting one project before completing another "startitis".  There is a certain pleasure in beginning a new project--a thrill of anticipation in the planning stages before the project is actually begun.  There have been no problems; no mistakes have been made; no rethinking has been necessary.  There is just that rosy dream of what it will look like when it is finished.  And when problems or boredom do set in, it is a simple matter of setting the project aside to be finished "someday" and starting another one.  It's like a shot of adrenalin.

Towards the end of December, 2010, I joined another crochet block a month group on Ravelry to make an afghan by the end of 2011. (You'd think I would have learned better in the intervening 3 years!) As I impatiently awaited the delivery of the yarn I ordered to make this new afghan, I remembered the half-finished one from 2008 and decided to work on it until the new yarn arrived.  I am making the 2011 afghan for my little grandson and really want to finish it in time to send it to him for his second Christmas.  I have this superstitious feeling that if I don't finish the project begun in 2008, I will never finish the new one for my grandson.  I am happy to report that I have now finished all 12 blocks and have started on the first of 6 more that I have decided need to be added to make a good-sized afghan for my guest bedroom.  I have even begun joining the blocks that are already finished.  See for yourself:

October, 2008 Block

November, 2008 Block

December, 2008 Block

Afghan Under Construction

Euripides advice above is timely for me. I haven't achieved closure yet, but it is in sight now.

No comments: