Friday, January 14, 2011

I Remember . . .

"Remembrance of things past is not necessarily the remembrance of things as they were." ~Marcel Proust  

 I am happy to report that Proust was not completely correct in his assessment of our ability to remember things from the past accurately.  I went to a German restaurant for dinner tonight and relived Friday night dinners from my childhood.

I had a choice of sides to go with my Rindergulasch (German Beef Goulash). I chose red cabbage and potato pancakes.  Everything was delicious, but the potato pancakes provided me with a trip down memory lane.  Our standard Friday night dinner when I was young was tuna salad, applesauce, and potato pancakes.  I have ordered potato pancakes many times when eating out, but they never tasted like what I remembered from my childhood. Most of them were made with mashed potatoes and my mother always made them from grated raw potatoes.  She added a little onion, an egg, and some flour, and fried them quickly in a skillet until they were brown and somewhat crunchy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside.  Mmm!  They were so good! The potato pancakes I ate tonight were just like the ones Mom used to make. Eating them was like being transported back in time fifty years.  

No comments: