Sunday, January 30, 2011

Almost Vegan

It is impossible to think of any good meal, no matter how plain or elegant, without soup or bread in it. ~ M.F.K. Fisher  

I have been planning for several weeks to try a vegan diet for a three week trial period.  I first mentioned this intent in this post on January 3.   Our visitors are gone and we have managed to finish up all the non-vegan perishable food in the house with the exception of some sour cream and buttermilk. We were so ready to try this new regimen that we began yesterday, even though we still had a few non-vegan items to eat.  That's why I entitled this post Almost Vegan. By Tuesday we should have nothing but vegan food in the refrigerator.

Today I fixed a delicious vegan soup from a 17 Bean and Barley Mix I purchased at Trader Joe's.  I followed the recipe on the package and then added some chopped spinach and Tofurky brand Italian sausage.  I also made some low carb buttermilk bread to accompany the soup.  A plain meal but delicious!

2 comments:

Chef Amber Shea said...

Way to go on the almost-veganism! I can certainly relate :) That soup looks awesome!

Kathleen said...

Thanks for your encouragement, Amber. I am also trying out veganism for health reasons. My daughter has been vegetarian for years and I have always tended in that direction. I'll be checking out your blog from now on for helpful hints.