Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Making the Best of Things

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.  ~John Wooden


I have been preparing for the meeting of my Book Club at my home today for several weeks.  First, I made little heart bookmarks for everyone.  Then I decorated my holiday tree with hearts.  And then I made a heart wreath for my front door to welcome my friends.  Finally, I prepared a special family favorite dessert for them--Pineapple Angel Food Cake.  I have made the recipe, which is incredibly simple, many times before, with good success, and expected the same results this time as well.  How wrong could I be?  It was a total disaster as you can see!


Now what?  I decided to switch gears and make a trifle using the cake as a base. I searched online and found this recipe.  I purchased a few needed items yesterday and made the trifle today, changing a few things according to the first two reviews written about the recipe. It was beautiful and tasted delicious.  It was a much more impressive dessert than I had planned and earned me kudos from my friends. 




It is trite, but true.  When life hands you lemons, make a trifle out of them!

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

That looks very yummy! (even the mistake looked yummy to me).

Thanks for the kudos on my squares. I've gotten quite a bit carried away with making squares. I may regret this at the end of the year. I wanted to have enough for 2 afghans but I may have bitten off more than I can chew. :-)

Kathleen said...

Thanks for the compliments on my culinary efforts. I think from what I've seen of the squares you've made so far that you will be able to produce some wonderful finished afghans with no problems.