Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Few Signs of Spring

I love spring anywhere, but if I could choose I would always greet it in a garden.  ~Ruth Stout  


Today was a sunny, blue skies kind of day, but still chilly.  And the weather forecast is predicting severe weather for Sunday--a high of 47 degrees and a low of 22 degrees.  For those who have suffered a frigid, snow-filled winter this may sound like spring, but for us here in the Southwest, this is far from springlike.  I've done what I could do to springify my indoor environment, so I went outdoors to my garden to search again for signs of spring there. I'm happy to report that although the signs are few, there are some indications that spring is actually on its way.

I found daffodils blooming and some almost ready to bloom.  I have a special love of daffodils because they are the flower of my birth month--March.




Our Lady Banks rose is beginning to leaf out.  I look forward to her blooms later in the spring.


And the salvia in the pot with the rose is leafing out too.  Its blue flower spikes make a lovely contrast with the yellow of the Lady Banks.



I am getting impatient for spring's arrival, but these signs of spring have given me hope that my wait may not be too long.

No comments: