Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Yahoo! The day has arrived

I was very worried about my impending retirement just a few days ago and spent many hours agonizing over whether it would make me sad, but today was my last day of work and I'm quietly happy. (Elation will most likely set in come September.) I would normally have 10 weeks off at this time of year, but with the certain prospect of a new year beginning again in September looming in the background it never felt completely refreshing and relaxing. Also, anybody who thinks teachers just sit around all summer sipping tea and reading novels has never known a teacher up close and personal. Every summer is spent going to school for recertification, or teaching summer school, or preparing lessons for the coming year.

School has been over for students for 2 days, but I had a student visit me today and I was very happy to see her. I didn't cry like I thought I might earlier, but undoubtedly I will miss her and my other students very much. So many of them have worked very hard this
year to begin an ESOL Club. The main purpose of the club was for the students to contribute something to the school and the community --very nicely realized through the tree planting activity, the knitting and crocheting circle, and the after school tutoring program. Many of them also developed leadership skills that will benefit them both in school and in the future.

A last look at my classroom, ready for summer cleaning. It looks a bit forlorn now, but I've enjoyed teaching in this room. Good memories were formed here and will continue to be formed here long after my departure.

1 comment:

Rommel K-tracho said...

OK Mrs. Bushman I'm glad to see that everything it's going right. I know that I will be hard for you to leave the school and us but, realize that is a benefit for you and for your family (you husband) now you have time to do many things that I know you have wanted. Also, it was so stressful to you because you got to do a lot of things. Noe enjoy your retirement eventhough we are gonna miss you...and don't forget...to visit the best place over this world...HONDURAS!!!!!!!!...lol...