Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A perfect day in June


AND what is so rare as a day in June?
Then, if ever, come perfect days. . .
---James Russell Lowell

The first day of summer and the first day of my retirement. Coincidence? Serendipity? Whatever it is, today has been wonderful. I woke early and went out to breakfast. Then I came home and worked in the garden for a while before it became too hot and humid.

After that I went to a friend's house for lunch and had a delightful time just chatting with her, and her husband, and young daughter. She is coming back next year to the school I just left, and I wanted to pass some teaching materials on to her. I have let some friendships languish because of the press of work and hope to renew old acquaintances and make new ones in the future.

This evening my husband and I went out to dinner (yes, another meal out) as a celebration of my new status as a retired person. It was absolutely delicious--Italian--and I am so full I don't feel, right now, that I will be able to eat tomorrow, but I know I will.

So far retirement is suiting me just fine.

No comments: