Sunday, March 02, 2008

The Winds of March

I was born and raised on the east coast--Virginia and Maryland. My favorite season was always autumn, but next in preference was spring. After a long, cold winter the sight of green buds on trees, daffodils pushing up in the garden, and blue skies always got me excited about new beginnings. Moving to the high desert of the southwest, I was not sure what to expect of the seasons. So far, it's been a real revelation.

We moved here in July, 2007, and were prepared for a hot summer. We had visited in this region off and on for over 10 years, but never stayed for any length of time. Well, our first summer here was delightful. Only a few days over 100 degrees and it was a dry heat (yeah, I know it's a cliche, but so true.) And a lovely monsoon (rainy) season. The landscape was greener than we'd ever seen it and the wonderful smell of the desert after rain was intoxicating.

Then came autumn and I thought I would really miss the trees changing color. Another surprise! The colors may not be as riotous, but the golds and burnt oranges we saw in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona and on a trip through Sedona and to the Grand Canyon were very satisfying.



In the White Mountains


Winter was a bit colder than we expected--some lows around 19 degrees--and we had snow twice. A wild blizzard as it fell and enough to make everything white. Then it disappeared in about three hours. No snowmen, but also no shoveling.

Now, it's March and I can definitely detect signs of the approach of spring. Trees that lost their foliage in the fall are budding up and showing green. Cholla are showing yellow buds, the skies are an intense blue, and the winds are here. It is often very windy here, no matter what time of year, but to me, the winds of March have always been a precursor to spring.


Cholla beginning to bloom


As for new beginnings, I am trying new things with my knitting and crocheting. I have finally finished my first sock and cast-on for the second one. Soon I may actually have a pair. These are for my son, Jon, who works outdoors and gets very cold and sometimes wet. I know they look large, but he does wear a size 11-12 shoe. However, I intend to felt them to give him even more insulation from the elements.

Spiral Stripes Socks

Many other projects are either in the works or planned, but they will be the subject of future blogs. I have spring fever and need to get outdoors right now.

No comments: