Friday, March 07, 2008

Scrumbling

I love the sound of that word--scrumbling. It is playful, whimsical, a bit quirky. And that's the way scrumbling makes me feel. Yesterday I played with my yarn and made two pink scrumbles for The Pink Project that Prudence Mapstone is sponsoring on Ravelry to support breast cancer research. I like the way they turned out, but am afraid they may be a bit large. Also, I am not feeling really good about the yarn I've used. Since the only yarns I had in pink were acrylics for making baby blankets and some novelty yarns, I don't think they have quite the drape I would like in a freeform project. I will try gently washing them in Eucalan to see if they improve. I still want to make some more before I mail them to Prudence.


This scrumble is one I made following a pattern by Margaret Hubert that I found in a publication from Annie's Attic called Fun with Free-Form Crochet. The pattern is called Large Paisley Scrumble No. 1. Now, it may sound counter intuitive to follow a pattern for freeforming, but as a "newbie" I felt I needed some guidance.

For this scrumble I started out following a pattern from the same publication by Margaret Hubert and when I got confused I just decided to improvise and make it my own.

The scrumbles I posted the other day were mailed to Jenny Dowde today. She is sponsoring a similar project on Ravelry called the Think Pink Challenge. Her deadline for receiving fragments is mid-April so I wanted to get them off as soon as possible. As I was returning from the post office, I was amazed to see a family of javelinas running across the front yard of along the road. The creatures and plant life here in the Southwest are so different from what I am used to and I've been trying to spot them as I drive along. I have seen coyotes, road runners, lizards, hawks, and all manner of cactus, but had never yet seen a javelina. They are much larger than I had thought--definitely not something to mess with.

No comments: