Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses

It has been so long since I posted here, I just hope I haven't forgotten how. Seriously, I do have excuses. First, we went to California to visit my husband's family and I had no access to a computer. ( I still haven't purchased that laptop I've always dreamed of having.) Second, upon our return, I was sick for a week with some kind of disgusting bug. Third, I was busy, busy, busy knitting and crocheting the shawls I was taking with me to Texas to give to two of my sisters and one of my nieces for their birthdays. Fourth, I spent a week in Texas with my sisters and never even thought about blogging because we had so much fun reconnecting.


And fifth, but perhaps most important, I have been experiencing some kind of angst about blogging versus journaling.


I have been journaling for about 14 years now. Sometimes almost daily and then sometimes only intermittently, but it has been a great solace and a source of serenity for me over the years. I usually write just before going to bed to reflect a bit on the day or rant or enthuse about a current bee in my bonnet. It is fairly effortless as it is just me, my journal, and a pen.


Blogging, however, seems to take me a long time and neccesitates access to a computer. I am somewhat self-conscious about having everything perfect and also about exposing myself to cyberspace. I'm just writing for myself in my journals, but in a blog there is always the potential that someone else will read it. This is also one of the good things about blogging as I feel more like a real "writer." Maybe it's just exhibitionism but it does satisfy a creative impulse in me that journaling does not.


I haven't completely resolved the issue in my mind, but I am going to try my hand at doing both for a while and see how it works out.

No comments: