Saturday, January 05, 2008

The Snowball Effect

You know those days when something bad happens early in the morning, and then something else, and then something else, and it's all downhill from there? I've often wondered if that kind of day is just coincidental bad luck or if we unconsciously influence the continuing disasters by our attitudes. I had a chance to ponder this question on my drive to a Sock Knitting Club meeting this morning.

After sleeping badly all night and then awakening very late as a consequence, I made my departure for the meeting even later by having to change clothes twice because of : #1 a button coming off my top, and #2 spilling my oj on my jeans. Then as I prepared to drive away, I had to go back into the house for some extra yarn and needles that I needed for the meeting so I could learn a new technique. Finally, as I was tooling down the road, making good time, I heard the little dinging sound that told me I was in need of fuel. As I travel long distances to get anywhere, I didn't want to take a chance and so I stopped to fuel up. By that time I was beginning to fuss and fume and stress out big time.

Once I got back on the road, I began to reassess my morning and think about the above question of luck versus attitude. I came to the conclusion that, with me at least, it is mostly attitude and my unfortunate personality trait of trying to control everything around me. One of my sisters gave me a t-shirt with a slogan on the front that sums me up very well: I'm Not Bossy, I Just Know What You Should Be Doing! Remembering that now in retirement I have loads more leisure time and don't really have to rush if I don't want to, I decided to chill and enjoy the warm day and great views on my way to the meeting. I arrived only about 20 minutes late and everyone looked at me like, "What do you mean?" when I apologized for my tardiness. A lesson I hope I will remember the next time I am having "one of those days."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And don't forget the other gal who showed up just as late as you! I've come to accept my pathological tardiness as a unique part of my character. Yeah, that's it.