Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Hey! We're Back

We returned from our trip back East exhausted, but happy, last Thursday evening. We traveled about 5,700 miles through 17 states. The trip exceeded my expectations. The weather, with just a few minor exceptions, was very good and I got to visit with everyone I had hoped to. Incredibly, I took no pictures to remind me of all our good times except a few snaps of the socks I finished on the road and felted for my son at my daughter's home. I guess I was just having too much fun talking, eating, and reconnecting. Picture taking just wasn't on my mind. As great as the trip was, however, I am glad to be back home and I am ready to settle back into my familiar rhythms. Travel is definitely good for renewing your zest for life and widening your perspectives, but serenity, for me, comes from being in a place that I love, doing the things I love to do--knitting, crocheting, cooking, and reading.

Here are the Spiral Stripes Socks I finished while on the road.

Before Felting:

After Felting:

I was very pleased with the way they turned out. They were my very first socks knit in the round. I only wish I had been able to finish them for him while the weather was still cold and damp. It's been warmer in Virginia lately than here in the Southwest, so he won't be able to test their insulative properties until next winter. I am currently knitting a pair of socks for me. Details in my next post.

No comments: