Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Is Life Just a Bowl of Cherries?

In reality it rarely is, but it was for me yesterday. We've been gorging, I mean indulging, in fresh strawberries for over a month in our household, but when I went to get some more this week from my local market they were nowhere to be found. When I spied these beautiful California Bing cherries, however, I felt more than compensated. I love the sweet, but crisp and juicy flavor of cherries and it doesn't make me feel guilty when I pop them in my mouth one after the other. Their health benefits are well-documented here and they are versatile as a cooking or baking ingredient.

In fact, I found a wonderful recipe for a Mesclun and Cherry Salad with Warm Goat Cheese online at Epicurious. I followed the recipe exactly, with the exception of using the fennel bulb--no fennel available in my market that day. We had it for dinner with grilled turkey tenderloin and some brown and wild rice. Delicious!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there anything better than ripe soft fruit?

I got some peaches and a melon in my fruit and veg box yesterday. I'm happy.

Anne said...

Yum! Cherries have been through the roof expensive here until just this week but now I have some in my kitchen too ...