Thursday, June 05, 2008

A Ball of Yarn, Some Needles, and My iPod

That's all I need to achieve a state of complete bliss. Knitting or crocheting alone induces a feeling of serenity in me, but with the addition of some music or a podcast, I truly experience Nirvana. The other day I was able to sustain this experience for almost two hours of continuous knitting. In that time I was able to finish the toe of the first sock below, cast on for the second sock, finish the cuff, and proceed to the leg. Pretty amazing considering these are only the second pair of socks I will have knit.


These are the Magic Stripes Socks from Ann Budd's book Getting Started Knitting Socks. I started out knitting them for me, but soon realized they were going to be too big. I knitted a gauge swatch which came out just right for my size, but somehow they fit my husband's size 13 feet perfectly. Go figure! He's happy and so therefore am I.

I started out listening to Santana, then Acoustic Alchemy, and finished with Loreena McKennitt. I have very eclectic musical tastes and this combination really did it for me that day. Click on the links to hear some of what I was listening to. I will see if it works again another time or maybe tune in to one of my favorite podcasts. I'm willing to experiment, if it helps the process along.

2 comments:

Carob said...

Nirvana definitely works for you, that's an amazing amount of work for 2 hours. The socks are beautiful as well.

I'll have to see if I can find my own Nirvana :-)

Anonymous said...

My first pair turned out a little too big, but not that big. Still, I wonder what went wrong? I knitted a gauge swatch and took my foot measurements!