Sunday, May 25, 2008

Long Time No Blog

Why has it been over a month since I last blogged? I can think of lots of excuses:

1. We were in California with no access to a computer for 10 days;
2. Since returning home I've been very busy catching up on things neglected while we were away;
3. I've been very focused on finishing a number of knitting/crochet projects;
4. I've been reading several books for the book clubs I'm in.

However, in all honesty, I'm not sure that any of those reasons is really accurate. No matter, I'm resolving right now to post at least 3 times a week for the next month. We'll see if that goal will keep me motivated.

The weather for the last week has been extreme. First it warmed up to almost 100 degrees for several days and then the winds came. It is frequently windy here, but these were the most ferocious, sustained winds we've had since moving here last July. I could hardly stand up in the gusts and we lost one tree--snapped the top off. D says he thinks it was weak in that spot, but it hurts like losing a friend. We battled the winds several days ago to stake two of our trees and are hoping they will be okay. The bark on one seems to have received some damage, but only time will tell.

We are still enjoying the blossoming of trees and cactus despite the winds. Here are a few more photos from the back yard.

One of the Kidneywood trees by the back gate

Prickly Pear we rescued after last year's monsoons

And finally, another FO--my scrumbles for The Pink Project in support of breast cancer research. I mailed them Friday to Prudence Mapstone in Australia. They were a challenge, as I'm new to freeform, but I really enjoyed making them. I feel more satisfied with these than the ones I made for The Think Pink Challenge for Jenny Dowde. In fact, I've begun a small project of my own now in freeform crochet. I'm embellishing some slippers using some of the pink yarn bought for The Pink Project.

No comments: